Monday, April 8, 2013

Chapter 12
     As the days go by, Jem's beginning to become more difficult to be around. He's more moody and doesn't like to spend as much time with me. Calpurnia says he's just maturing. The other night he told me to start acting like a girl which made me burst into tears. All Atticus had to say was I should try not to disturb and leave him to do what boys do on his own. Now that Dill's back, they play together and leave me out once again. As a result, i started to spend more time with Calpurnia in the kitchen which makes her happy. I just need to be patient with Jem for now.
 

     Jem and I joined Calpurnia at church this Sunday while Atticus left us. It was a new and interesting experience. She bathed us and put us in nice outfits because she wanted to show the people in her community that she does a good job of taking care of us.Calpurnia's church is called First Purchase African M.E. Church which was located just outside of southern town limits. A lady named Lula gave Calpurnia a hard time for bringing two white children to their church, but we were told to ignore her and that we were welcomed there. We also met Calpurnia's son Zeebo, he's the trash man at the church. The church was built different then ours, they didn't have hymn books, and the expressed themselves more freely. I enjoyed our experience there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment